Friday, August 2, 2013

Happy National Day! (",)



This is one of my favourite videos. I can watch it over and over again without feeling bored. (^_^) In contrast, I will close the video of "One Singapore" after 1-2 minutes every time I tried to watch it. =O Hence, I decided that this video is more appropriate in celebration of National Day.

Underlining the simple plot is a deep meaningful message - defending what you cherish most. This requires courage, and plenty of it too, and in this video, to safeguard an eraser with Singapore flag printed on it.

I could relate very well to those rectangular pieces of something which we called "rubbers" during my primary school days. My classmates and I would flip them around in an attempt to conquer one another's pieces.

The boy displayed a great sense of pride and love for our country, one that is so fast-changing that sometimes I am not sure if it is still ours. This video simply touches my heart in an indescribable way.

The only unrealistic part about it is how the boy divulged the truth only when probed by his principal. Many of our school children would have been quick to argue and point fingers at others, yet nothing about themselves, as if they were the victims. Courage and integrity? Non-existent.

The video closes with this meaningful line:

"Men love their country, not because it is great, but because it is their own."
 - Lucius Annaeus Senica -

Happy National Day. (",)

No comments:

Post a Comment